Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 8 - Educators Save the Day

Today we knew we had to make a choice between heading to Baker's city or Unity. Baker's City was the prettier route to go, as Unity was a desert route.  Since we were down to 1 spare inner tube and a patch kit, we decided to head to Unity, the closer of the two.

As we took off we got another flat, and then the stem broke off the tube. So we replaced it with the other one.

We stopped in Austin Junction to eat.  Everything looked great. We had 24 miles to go to get to Unity.

After eating we took off only to get another flat. We had no cell service. The cafe' said we could use the phone, but for $2 for every 5 mins.  This was crazy, so we tried patching and leaving.

After stopping 4 times and only 15 miles to go, the value on the tube broke again. We switched out tires and I walked the bike and started trying to hitch a ride to town where I would order tubes to be sent next day air.

A gentleman picked me up and drove me into Unity. It turns out that he's the superintendent of the John Day school district.  He informed me that there was no such thing as next day air in this part of Oregon.  We proceeded to discuss the similarities of our students, even though they're from vastly different settings.

He dropped me off safely at the RV park in Unity. I jumped online and tried ordering from Amazon (no cell service yet).  No luck. It would take at least 3 days. Yikes!!!  We'd be stuck outside in oppressive heat for 3 days.
Finally, a woman came into the shop looking for lemonade to go with her vodka. She asked it I was part of the group hitch hiking up the rode. I immediately ran out of the shop to are who was there.

It was my second time to be saved in a day.  I caught up to the couple. Dave and Ellie. They had a spare tube!  They gave me a tube :-)!

Ellie is also an educator in Holland. I couldn't believe my luck running into these amazing people who are exactly like I want to be. Someone who is kind and willing to help out a person in need.

Dave and Ellie were leaving as the rest of the family arrived. They met and Dave stated, "The universe is now realigned. Everything will turn out."

So far, even with other setbacks, he has been right.

Thanks Mark, Dave, and Ellie!  I hope in the future I can return the favor!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are amazing. Way to go! I am sending this blog along to two of my family who are also teachers they will love this. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures. Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete